10 Tips That Can Keep a Relationship Alive
Think of your relationship as a living thing. In the beginning you gave it everything it needed, food, water, attention, and a place to live and grow. Now that time has passed, are you giving your relationship what it needs to survive and stay alive?
Just because we are in a relationship does not mean we no longer have to care for it. if we don’t, it can simply die. What can you do to keep your relationship alive?
1. Don’t sweat the small stuff. After all, in the grand scheme of things it really is small stuff. Who cares if he left his socks on the floor? Sure, remind him again to pick them up, but is that really worthy of an argument and hostility? Why not remind yourself that the same guy who left the socks on the floor is the same guy who held your hand while you were afraid, just to keep you calm.
2. Have time set aside for the two of you to act like a couple. It is hard, with all the things we have to do and our hectic lives to find time, but it is important to find that time. No one on their death bed wishes they would have worked more, they wish they spent more time with their loved ones.
3. Try to give at least one compliment per day to the one you love. How many times a day do you make a sarcastic remark, tell them what to do, or say something negative? Without positive re-inforcement, a couple grows apart.
4. Don’t say “I love you” just in passing, when you leave the house, or when you hang up the phone. Those words become automatic and robotic in those circumstances, they do not, for many people, feel like real affirmations of someone’s feelings. Say I love you when there is nothing else going on. Just because.
5. Do something nice for them and surprise them. Don’t wait until their Birthday or a special occasion, just do it when the mood strikes you.
6. If you live together, when you spend time home alone, you may dress in your most comfortable yet not the most attractive clothes. You may not have done your hair, put on make up, or used perfume or cologne. Why not once in while dress and groom as if it mattered the way it did when you were dating?
7. Don’t go to bed angry. Talk it out, then let it go.
8. Share your feelings, if something is wrong, say so. If asked, tell the truth, not “I’m fine, there is nothing wrong”. This builds resentments and gets both of you no where.
9. You have no problem acknowledging when you are right, do the same when you are wrong. Don’t wait a long time to apologize. Do it immediately, and with feeling.
10. Allow for reasonable time apart. Give each other some “free time”, like for them to watch sports while you go out shopping. You do not need to be together 24/7, and the time apart and the giving of space makes for happier well-rounded people.
Copyright 2009-2014 All rights reserved. Written permission is required from the author to post on your site or be used in any way, shape, or form. If you quote an article please credit and supply a link to our original posting. While many people seem to be under the impression that we should be flattered that you use our work, we are not, plagiarism is plagiarism, and we do not find stealing our work and our ideas flattering at all and you will be prosecuted under the law.