Through speaking with clients we have observed lately that many people are unsure when to leave a relationship. At what point should you throw in the towel and give up trying to hold a relationship together? At what stage should you come to the realization that you have done all you can? We compiled a list to help those confused that are unsure if they should leave their current relationship.
10 Reasons to Leave Your Relationship
1. Too much dysfunction and drama is a very good reason to leave your relationship. Drama and dysfunction day after day change you as a person. You behave in ways you are ashamed of. You may have tried to stop the dysfunction and drama but have had no luck. If the person you are with is a drama queen or king it is time to leave. If the person you are with could teach a class on how to create and maintain a dysfunctional relationship, it is time to leave. Take your sanity and go.
2. If your relationship has not evolved and stays stuck in a rut, it may be time to leave that relationship. If you want to be married at some point and your partner is dead set against marriage, then it may be time to go. If you have been in a relationship for years and have not gotten a commitment of any kind, why are you still there? If a commitment is not important to you then stay. But if it is, you gave it enough time to deserve one.
3. Cheating, especially repeated cheating is a top reason to leave your relationship. How many times can you go through this? Can you ever trust them again? Will you ever trust them again. Be realistic with yourself. Don’t make it about the other woman. Don’t make it about not losing him to her. Can you go through him cheating on you again? If the answer is no, then leave your relationship.
4. If he or she is emotionally unavailable or distant most of the time, you may consider leaving your relationship. If your emotional needs are not being met, it is only a matter of time before you can’t take it anymore. If love and affection have left your relationship (or were never there in the first place) then you should leave as well.
5. If the one you love has family members or friends that make your life miserable, it may be time to leave your relationship. Now your partner is not responsible for what his friends and family do. But they are responsible for creating boundaries. They should be taking your side if you are the victim of his friends or families shenanigans. Your partner needs to stand up for you, and stand up to them.
6. Sexual incompatibility. If the sex is bad, non-existent, or you just are not attracted to them sexually anymore, it may be time to bail. If sex isn’t important to either of you, then that is another story. If sex is important, then it might be time to call it quits.
7. If you are being subjected to any kind of abuse in your relationship, please leave now. For your own well-being and safety, get out. No one should suffer from mental,physical, or verbal abuse. Please seek help. Don’t think it will get better, because it won’t.
8. Childish behavior makes adults go crazy. If the person you are with behaves like a three-year old when they are mad, sad, or don’t get their way, leave. You are an adult and need to be in a relationship with an adult. You cannot have an adult relationship with someone who behaves like a toddler. Check our article Adult Relationships Cannot Withstand Childish Behavior.
9. If your dreams and goals for the future are polar opposites, then the future doesn’t look to bright for you as a couple. If you want marriage and kids and he or she does not, one of you loses out. Are you willing to make that sacrifice? If you are not, then leave. If you will wind up bitter, and angry and resentful for putting your dreams and goals aside, then you may as well leave the relationship now.
10. When you are being treated like shit, it’s time to leave your relationship and the person treating you like shit. If you are being disrespected all the time, leave. If the one you love is a jealous nut job and drives you crazy with their jealousy, leave. If your partner doesn’t do his or her fair share, leave. If they won’t get a job, help support you emotionally, and just keep pulling you down, LEAVE. If they act out, act unreasonable, or withdraw emotionally or physically from the relationship, leave. You do not deserve that kind of treatment from them or anyone else.
I have come to the conclusion that relationships with human adults are the most difficult.that’s why self love is important.
After 14 years and a child, he told me he doesn’t love me anymore. This is not the first time, he left me a couple time earlier in the relationship and we got back together, but I feel this is it. It was always about he’s not ready, hes still feel like he wants to be alone. It wasn’t about him seeing anyone, he doesn’t want to get married, no more kids. He told me he’s not seeing anyone else, well first he told me he’s seeing someone else, because someone saw him couple times and I called him immediately at work and ask him about it. first he pause and then he said yes, then later on we sat down to talk and I asked him to tell me the truth. He said no he’s not seeing anyone he only told me that because he thought it’s would hurt me more if he told me he doesn’t love me anymore. He said he’s not denying that he was seen with someone, but its not someone hes dating. He said there is someone he’s interested in but he’s not seeing this person romantically. It’s someone he knew long time, someone he talks to about his his personal stuff, like when he’s going through whatever. He said he never discussed me with this person like personal stuff.The thing is as soon as I asked him about this he changed, he hardly wants to do anything around the house, he use to take my car for oil change, he use to text me at least once or twice a day from work. Everything suddenly change! It’s like he was relieved from something, or he was happy I confronted him. He’s a great dad to our child though. There’s is some part of me that doesn’t believe him. We’re still living together until we figure out what to do with our house. He doesn’t sleep out or anything, I just don’t know what to believe. The ugliest thing is I want us to work things out!