Disrespectful behavior in relationships may slide under the radar at the beginning of a relationship. If these behaviors are allowed to continue, the relationship itself is at jeopardy. A relationship with disrespectful behavior leaves no room for consideration, understanding, or admiration. Without those key elements a relationship becomes toxic and one sided. The lack of balance leads to nothing good down the road.
Many times people dismiss disrespectful behavior because they don’t want to make a big deal about it. It could be that a person, when they are hurt and feel disrespected they don’t feel they can express themselves or prefer to avoid confrontation. Sometimes people are handed a bunch of excuses when they bring up to their partner that they feel disrespected or they get an outright denial. We are going to give a list of some signs of disrespect in relationships so you can recognize them and deal with them right away when they occur in your relationship.
- One clear sign of disrespectful behavior is in how the couple communicates with one another. This is both in private and in public. Some criticism is helpful, but when it is hurtful, it shows a lack of respect. Trying to force someone to talk when they need some time to cool down or articulate their thoughts and feelings shows no respect for the time the other needs to speak clearly and calmly. Name calling, snide comments and even the silent treatment don’t exactly show respect for another human being either. And, if you should not tolerate others, such as your friends or family to communicate with your partner in a disrespectful way either.
- Bullying, manipulating and game playing is another way of showing how little you respect the person you are in a relationship with. You don’t respect someone if you bully them or manipulate them into getting your way or what you want. Playing games to cause drama, get the upper hand, or play with someones emotions is not a way to build a healthy relationship. Allowing other people, such as your friends or family members to bully, manipulate or play games with you or your partner is disrespectful to the both of you.
- One of the top signs of disrespectful behavior in a relationship is when boundaries don’t mean a thing. When boundaries are constantly crossed the person doing so has zero respect for the other. If you allow someone to get away with constantly crossing your boundaries you have no respect for yourself. Is it any wonder why they don’t respect you if you don’t respect yourself?
- Not giving someone the space they need, the trust they earned, or any privacy at all is not showing respect for them. If they have given you no good reason (such as cheating in the past, for example) you don’t have a right to expect them to be with you 24/7 and feel you have the right to invade their privacy or show them you trust them.
- Selfishness is another huge sign. The relationship cannot always revolve around one person. A relationship should not be controlled by one person, nor should it always be about one person. It’s not fair, and it is not healthy.
Feel free to comment below if you have any signs of disrespectful behavior in relationships that you would like to add.