Many people are in relationships with someone who is emotionally immature. Relationships are hard enough as it is and each come with a unique set of challenges. When one or both partners in the relationship is emotionally immature, the challenges can seem endless.
Top 10 Signs of Emotionally Immature Relationships
- Emotionally immature people often classify themselves as “very sensitive”. There are many sensitive people in relationships, and that is not always a problem. A truly sensitive person is also sensitive towards others, where an emotionally immature person is not. Emotionally immature people feel the need to pay you back or retaliate against any hurt, real or imagined that they blame you for. They expect no punishment for anything they do or say, but you will pay dearly for anything real or imagined that you do “wrong”.
- Emotionally immature people often have short relationships. They either have back and forth relationships with an ex, and someone else while they are broken up with their ex, or quick whirlwind relationships. They like the honeymoon phase, which isn’t real. The can promise anything because they know they won’t be there to have to deliver. They will talk about a future they have no intention of being there for. When the relationship ends, because they do not have the emotionally maturity to maintain it, they will come up with an excuse. Of course that excuse will not give them full, if any, responsibility.
- Emotionally immature relationships always have only one bad guy. An emotionally immature person is never at fault. There is always someone else to blame, and that person is you. You never have a good excuse to make a mistake, but they have thousands. They will turn and twist everything you say in an argument to make you the bad guy and themselves the good guy.
- Emotionally immature relationships have plenty of drama because emotionally immature people like to play games. You can’t have a simple disagreement, because they will break up with you. If they are in a bad mood, they will pick a fight with you and make it your fault. They can get mad at you and not talk to you for days, weeks, or never again until you beg forgiveness even if you have done nothing wrong.
- Emotionally immature relationships always have one victim. Emotionally immature people are never held responsible for any bad choices or behaviors on their part. Nope, they are perfect people who always have bad things happen to them. It is never their responsibility for the bad things, they are innocent victims. They lost their job for coming in late? Not their fault. It is the cars fault, your fault for not making sure they woke up on time, or a thousand other reasons.
- Emotionally immature relationships are very unstable. Emotionally immature people react/talk first, without thinking about the consequences at all. They then blame you for “making them do/say that” because if you had not upset them, they never would. You have to deal with the consequences of what they did/said, they sure won’t.
- Emotionally immature relationships revolve around only one person. An emotionally immature person is only concerned about themselves. You are supposed to only care about them and put them first too. You are a bit player in your relationship, while they are the star.
- Emotionally immature relationships usually have only one partner acting like an adult. You may both be saving to buy a house together, but you are the only one saving. You didn’t need to buy a new dress, saving for the house was more important. They needed to buy new golf clubs, the house can wait.
- Emotionally immature people have rarely lived on their own. If you are in a relationship with someone who has never lived by themselves or can’t be by themselves, there is a chance you may be in a relationship with someone who is emotionally immature.
- If you are in an emotionally immature relationship, chances are your sex life is less than satisfactory. Theirs may be, but since your needs don’t matter, yours most likely won’t be met.
So there are some of the signs of an emotionally immature relationship. If you recognize yourself or your partner, it is high time to grow up before you relationship comes to an end.
Copyright 2009-2015 All rights reserved. Written permission is required from the author to post on your site or be used in any way, shape, or form. If you quote an article please credit and supply a link to our original posting. While many people seem to be under the impression that we should be flattered that you use our work, we are not, plagiarism is plagiarism, and we do not find stealing our work and our ideas flattering at all and you will be prosecuted under the law.